The purpose of proposing an Encinitas Fair Campaign (EFC) Pledge is to make all aware of the city’s desire for more useful and comfortable campaigns. Voluntary campaign pledges come in many forms. What is below is a place to start. Please suggest edits and additions.
The Draft City of Encinitas Fair Campaign Pledge
As a candidate or election participant (PAC or major contributor) I shall:
1.I shall conduct my campaign for city office openly and fairly. I will not misrepresent, distort, or otherwise falsify the facts in any of my communications.
2.I shall discuss the issues and participate in fair debate with respect to my views and qualifications. I will focus on the issues in all statements, debates, advertisements, and press releases, and other communications.
3.I shall not engage in, or permit, the unfair representation of the character of my opponents; nor shall I engage in unwarranted invasions of personal privacy unrelated to campaign issues.
4.I shall not, at any time, use or permit the use of any campaign material or advertisement that misrepresents, distorts, or otherwise falsifies the facts regarding any candidate or the candidate’s position on issues.
5. I will at all times be prepared to provide supporting evidence for statements I have made, and will issue a retraction and apology, in a timely fashion, should I find that I have been in error. Any retraction will be conspicuous and in the same manner as the initial statement was made.
6. I shall clearly identify myself, or my campaign committee(s), as the sender of all of my campaign communications. The person(s) responsible for approving and funding the content of the communications will be identified.
7. I will not condone personal attacks in my campaign. I will not discuss during the campaign or issue any statement or communication whatsoever discussing my opponent's family, children, race, religion, personal associations, or sex. I will not discuss or issue any statement or communication related to my family, children, race, religion, personal associations, or sex.
8. I will formally request all local advocacy groups and PACs--special interests, campaign contributors, or any other--to not make independent expenditures that involve negative or personal attacks on my opponents, and I promise to immediately and publicly denounce any of this activity if it occurs.
9. I will help my opponents respond to violations of the EFC Pledge by helping them to publish a response, if they desire, by sharing up to 35% of the space/time of my mailings (or other communications) to allow my opponents to response to any attacks until the response has reached an equivalently sized audience as offending communications.
10. I shall publicly repudiate support derived from any individual or group whose activities would violate this Fair Campaign Pledge.
11. I will not participate in slate mailers.
12. I will take responsibility for managing the actions of my campaign teams.
13. To further public discussion of the issues a website will be provided as a clearinghouse of information and debate for the candidates’ campaigns. I will publish all of my mass communications to this website. I will conspicuously note in all my mass communications that I am participating in the EFC Pledge and give the specific EFP website address where my opponents and I may opt to discuss or respond to each mailer, video, or robocall (mass communications).
14. I will not tie nonprofit organizations into my mass communications.
15. I agree to participate in regular private meetings with the other candidates to discuss campaign issues.
16. I will recognize that no candidate or campaign will be without flaws.
I’d just say this is mostly crazy talk, but there are pledges out there that contain most of the elements listed above. Please suggest edits and additions.
Moderation rules will be applied to this post. Only comments that are constructive will be retained. Do not rehash the last election in this thread.